Thursday, July 23, 2009

To the cinema : Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince


Is it just me, or what? It seems like the movie blockbusters of late were quite disappointing. First was Transformers 2, now is the Half Blood Prince. I got to admit that I felt Ice Age 3 was slightly better than these two, even though it was a little non-sensical (ice age together with the dinosaur age?!), it was still quite funny and enjoyable.

I got to admit that I missed the Order of Phoenix (which I didn't know if there's any continuation from that movie to this), and I didn't read any single book of Harry Potter. But I did enjoy the first 4 Harry Potter movies, and my favourites are The Chamber of Secrets and The Goblet of Fire. Compared to those two, Half Blood Prince seemed to have lost all the magic, suspense and thrill. Oh, and did someone forget to pay the electricity bill for the movie? Coz it was all so dark and gloomy most of the time, that I guessed that was why the boy sitting behind me found it more interesting to kick at the back of my seat rather than to watch the movie.

But there was a first for me when watching this movie. I kept turning to the husband and asked for the time. When I realised that there was about 30 mins left, I thought there might at least be a climatic ending to make up for the almost boring previous 2 hours. But there was nothing! It was not until Professor Snape came up to Harry Potter and said in his usual monotonous voice, "Yes, I'm the half blood prince.", that I realised that I already didn't care who was the half blood prince anymore.

The focus also seemed to be lost, or rather divided between the budding romance among the teenagers and the problem with the bad guy. I do appreciate a little romance in a movie, but somehow in this case, I felt that it was a little too much that it bordered on irritating. Or maybe it was written like that in the storybook? Only the Harry Potter faithful reader at home can tell me. I guess for the next few movies, I would have to depend on her reviews to see if they were worth the $10 ticket price.

3 comments:

Chelly July 25, 2009 at 11:06 AM  

methinks the book is a lot better. too much's been cut and tweaked to squish it all in 153 minutes. the mood was right though - as dark as it should be to fit the theme.

what's keeping you from the books, auntie?

levynn July 28, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

i dunno why, but i dun feel like reading the series at all...

Old Beng July 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

I watched it and didn't enjoy it, but heng ah, free show, no need to pay

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP