Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Almost there!

A colleague had organised a blood donation drive in the school and we are encouraged to have a go at it if we meet the "requirements". I had always thought that, by being underweight, I cannot donate blood. But apparently, I was wrong. It is not the weight and height ratio form of underweight. One is considered underweight and unsuitable for blood donation if he/she is under 45kg. So, having put on at least 5 kg in the almost 3 years since getting married, I decided to donate blood for the very first time in my life.


So, after filling up the form, and passed the next 2 "tests" with flying colours (the doctor's interview, and having the correct amount of haemoglobin balance), I was mentally prepared to be "poked and prodded" by some thick needle. Actually the thought of being pricked by needle was not as great as the worry that I might feel faint (or might really faint) after the donation.

But somehow, the appropriate veins needed are not "available" on both my arms. My right arm does not show the veins at all, while there is one on my left arm, but according to the nurse, it is too fine to do the donation. There is a risk of puncturing the vein with the needle. According to the nurse, my arms do not have enough exercise and she recommended me to do some weight-lifting, or similar sort of exercise to make the veins more visible.

It was kind of disappointing to having miss this experience, knowing that the blood might actually help someone in the future. But I have to admit that there was also a tiny sense of relief that I do not have to go through the sticking of the needle and having it in me for 10 minutes.

However, if there is another chance, I will certainly go for it again. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous August 27, 2008 at 10:44 PM  

I also had the same experience when I tried donating in JC days...haha..i remembered the nurse told me to do more housework. Guess now my veins should be quite visible.

Anonymous August 30, 2008 at 3:32 AM  

"oxygenated blood"

Anonymous August 31, 2008 at 10:29 PM  

LOL, i was told the same thing too!! that despite me playing badminton for 6yrs..and the 2nd time i went the nurse said the same thing,so i guess u really need to build up super lots then can..haha..looks like we are not fated to do it!

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP