Thursday, January 24, 2008

Peanut cookies (1st attempt)

Today was my first attempt at baking. That is, dessert kind of baking. I guess the spirit of Chinese New Year is getting to me. I was suddenly thinking of what kind of new year goodies I can make (just for fun coz I'm not a baker at all). Then I recalled a peanut cookies recipe from the lazy chef. Went to take a look and it didn't look too difficult, except that I didn't have a proper oven, but an oven-toaster. Nonetheless, I felt the urge to give it a try since I had some time and Papa likes them. So, I made a slight detour on the way home to get the ingredients, and was ready to start.

Due to the limited tabletop space in my small kitchen, I had quite a hard time sifting the flour, and looking for a place to put the prepared ingredients. Everything was finally done at about a little after 8 p.m., with spots of white flour here and there.


With much anticipation, I put my first batch of cookies into the oven. Got to divide them into batches coz the oven-toaster is a little too small for mass baking. Soon, the kitchen started to smell real good... all peanut-ty. And the result of my virgin try at baking cookies...



Wahahahaha... and yes, they were already in the bin before I remembered to take a photo. Anyway, I'll just take it as a trial to test out the temperature and timing for the next two batches.

The results from the second batch :

Actually they don't look too bad in the photo... but maybe due to the flash, coz the actual ones look much blacker than these. Heh.

As for the taste, it was just like those normal peanut cookies, except mine had additional burnt taste. But the husband is very supportive, he had eaten a few since I took them out of the oven. Or maybe becoz there was nothing else to eat as snacks at home.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have time to try again this weekend, and hopefully, they will turn out ok.



Peanut Cookies



Ingredients:


- 250g ground peanut powder

- 200g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder

- 110g icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 140g corn oil

Egg wash:1 egg yolk lightly beaten with 1 tsp water



Method:

1. Mix ground peanut powder, plain flour, baking powder, icing sugar and salt in a big mixing bowl till well combined.



2. Pour in oil slowly and mix till a piable dough is formed. You might need a little more than the stated amount if the dough is too dry.



3. Shape into small bite-size pieces. I used a bottle cap and cling film to get a consistant shape.



4. Place about 2cm apart on lined baking sheet. Apply egg wash.



5. Bake at 170C for 18-22 minutes or till golden brown(depending on oven).

4 comments:

Anonymous January 25, 2008 at 12:31 AM  

oei oei oei..

you FORGOT to mentioned you didnt clear up the white flour all over the kitchen sink is it?? =P

anyway, 1st attempt failed never mind lah.. at least its safe to eat.. i am still ALIVE!! =)

thumbs up for trying..

Anonymous January 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM  

I agree,at least you bother to try.
Sometimes the process is more memorable & important than the outcomes! Good Try!

Anonymous January 29, 2008 at 10:01 AM  

LUCKY I NO SEE. ELSE I WOULDN BE HERE LIAO BANKAI~!!!1

Anonymous January 30, 2008 at 9:49 PM  

ray...
if u have eaten one of it, u wouldn't b on 2 days MC at home scratching like a monkey liao!

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP