Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Steamed egg

I've decided to be brave one evening and try my hand at making steamed egg. It may sound like a simple enough dish, but I had seen the few times that even my mum couldn't really get it right. But then again, it may be due to the size of the dish used as well... my mum had to cook for 6, and I had only to cook for 2, and I already spent about 20 minutes steaming it. It was a dish that tested a little of my patience.

Steamed eggs

Ingredients :

- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 300 ml of water
- spring onions, chopped
- soy sauce for taste

additional topping :
- cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- pickled radish (chai poh), minced

Directions :

1) Bring water to boil in a steamer and turn down the heat to a low simmer.

2) Mix the beaten eggs and water in a dish and place into the steamer. While waiting for the eggs to cook, heat up some cooking oil in a frying pan and add in the garlic. Stir-fry it til fragrant and add in the pickled radish. Continue frying til they browned.

3) After 15 minutes or so, insert a knife in the centre to ensure that the egg is not too runny. The final result should be slightly soft but firm and still a bit wobbly when you shake the dish. (This is the part where you have to be patient. I read somewhere that the time to cook actually depends on the heat of water. DO NOT try to turn up the heat or the eggs will be overcooked)

4) Remove from the steamer and sprinkle with the spring onions, the fried garlic and pickled radish mixture, as well as some light soy sauce for taste.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP