Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Let the dialects die?

Were you one of those who was nodding in agreement when last night's news were talking about this, and this? Or were you like me, feeling disappointed that this is happening?

Honestly, I couldn't count the times when I really regretted not picking up at least one of the common dialects spoken in the house. Even though I'm one of those lucky few with grandparents understanding or speaking Mandarin, there were still times when ah mah talked to me in Teochew, and I replied in Mandarin, there was this feeling of a "broken link". No doubt we understood what each other was trying to say, but somehow I always felt that if I knew Teochew, I might get my point across better, and the connection between generations will be stronger.

What about those grandparents who do not understand Mandarin at all? And their grandchildren do not understand their dialects? How are they going to communicate? Among the many campaigns that Singapore has, I'm sure there is one about family togetherness somewhere. So, how do these two generations, who do not understand each other, get together? Will the grandparents feel that they have "lost" their grandchildren? And will the grandchildren feel that their grandparents are "extras" who just happened to be around?

And the argument about learning and speaking Mandarin at home early is :

"With Mandarin, the reach is far greater than dialects: 'If you speak Hokkien or Cantonese, you reach some 60 million in Fujian and Taiwan, or about 100 million in Guangdong and Hong Kong. With Mandarin, you can speak to 1,300 million Chinese from all provinces in China,' he said. "

Does that mean that, if I managed to speak Cantonese, I will be able to talk to another 100 million on top of the 1,300 million... isn't it better than someone who only speaks Mandarin?


But at the end of the day, whether to let your children learn dialect or not is really up to the individual family. The husband is one good example. He speaks wonderful Teochew, and it didn't seemed to affect his ability to perfect Mandarin and English. In fact, the same goes for his two sisters and other cousins. If the child can pick up a dialect, why stop him/her from learning?



Although I don't speak any fluent dialects, I do understand a few. And I'm going to make sure my future kids (if there are any) to know some dialects too. At least they will know whether people are scolding them or teaching them any bad words.

4 comments:

rbm March 21, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

haha..gd insight. eh i thk the point is no need to purposely revive the dialects in the official ways like media or what, but if at home the kids manage to learn some then is another story. haha... but then i support the speak mandarin cos my english no good!! hahaha... excuse me for bing narrow-minded..lol

rbm March 21, 2009 at 3:40 PM  

by the way, i like the rabbit with the ears lighting the fire.. do u have on msn? can i have it ? thanks!! haha

spyder March 23, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

rbm!! what are you talking about!! you are the future generation!! how can you not be good in ang mo?? tats why you went china?? LOL.. you sent by M&M there arh??

Anonymous April 5, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

WOOHOO! thumbs up and cheers for Dr Ng Bee Chin who is my teacher! heh. anw, you-know-who is just too ang mo pai wat. at first what speak good english campaign, thn now speak mandarin campaign. he also didnt see the importance of mandarin until not so many years ago. dialects are like singlish which is what makes us singaporean lor. why is it that we have to speak proper english to ang mo or proper mandarin to chinese, but they cant speak proper singlish to us? singaporeans also humans leh

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP