Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th : a superstition about a day of good or bad luck.

Superstition : used in Latin as an unreasonable or excessive belief in fear or magic, especially foreign or fantastical ideas, and thus came to mean a "cult" in the Roman empire, is a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge. The word is often used pejoratively to refer to supposedly irrational beliefs of others, and its precise meaning is therefore subjective.



I'm not the kind that wakes up in the morning and goes in a panic, like, "Oh my gosh! It's Friday the 13th today! Where is my lucky red underwear? Where is my lucky pink shirt? Where is my lucky charm?"

I believe that there is a spiritual world out there. I believe in retribution, karma. But any other things, I always take them with a pinch of salt. Just like Friday the 13th. All along, it was just another ordinary day for me, nothing much to fuss about, or to give yourself unnecessary stress by wondering what could go wrong in everything you do.



However, I didn't hear my alarm rang at 6:10 a.m. this morning, and I'm a light-sleeper, and had no recollection whatsoever about turning it off. So by the time I woke up, it was already 7:20 a.m., and of course, was late for work. (this was only the second time in my life that I woke up late. the first time when I was still in Poly)



Then as I was about to arrive at my work place, I suddenly remembered that the 3 pieces of cakes that Dass and I had bought for tea break today, were still resting cozily in my fridge. Arrggh!!



And it didn't help when the husband said, "It's Friday the 13th. Anything that can happen, will happen."



But after the morning "drama", everything seemed normal. At least that was until the afternoon, when I went down to the office, and suddenly, one of the clerk, in front of 3 others, asked me, "I heard that you are pregnant. Is it true?"



That statement stirred up a bit of excitement among the 4 females, and I hurried to clarify that I'm not pregnant.



I AM REALLY NOT PREGNANT! *confirm guarantee chop*



It was then that I remembered about another incident that happened yesterday (which was Thursday the 12th). Another colleague suddenly stopped me, holding onto my arm, and spoke in a low voice. "I heard something about you today. Is it true that you already have 3 kids?"

MySpace



I didn't know whether to get mad or laugh out loud when I heard that. My first thought was that R*Y (name has been held back for privacy reasons) must have told her that, coz that was a joke that had been going on between the few of us. And the worse thing was, when I asked *AY (again, name has been held back for privacy reasons) about it, he told me he was not sure whether he joked about it to the colleague before or not.
Honestly, I didn't really mind about the guys joking around once in a while, but, surprisingly, there are still some people out there who really believe in everything that everyone is telling him/her. (and that colleague is at least in her late 30s or early 40s).

However, I got to admit that it was quite exciting to be the centre of such rumour, but I only want to hear the good ones. Heh.

Also, I'm really very curious as to who started this pregnancy rumour. Don't tell me it's her...

So, will I be wearing my lucky underwear for the next Friday 13th?

Hmmm.

Nope.

3 comments:

Chelly February 14, 2009 at 5:56 AM  

yeah, it was just another day. apart from the restaurant taking away my favourite matcha parfait from the dessert menu, things were as normal as can be.

kOi February 15, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

haha...share a joke with you. That day I brought a little P2 boy into staff room ( he looks like male version of xiaojing, very cute ). Adjunct Tr stopped us and said "hey your son !"I was so shocked !

levynn February 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM  

haha... the adjunct tr us auntie?? i realised all the aunties r very excited abt the younger ones getting pregnant... heh...

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP