Friday, January 08, 2010

Chicken Ngoh Hiang



So I've finally made my ngoh hiang. Yes, with chicken instead of pork coz as I had mentioned before, I can't stand the piggish taste of supermarket pork. Though I suspect that using chicken might not taste as sweet and succulent as pork, but I'm still very satisfied with the overall result. I had made ngoh hiang, of all things. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be.

And I'm also proud to say that I had kind of got the seasoning right this time. According to this post from The Little Teochew, there are 2 ways to get around the saltiness of this dish :

1) Go light on your seasoning of the filling, so that the saltiness of the wrapper makes up for the blandness, or

2) Season your filling as you normally would. Then, using a clean damp cloth, wipe the wrappers a few times (both sides) very gently. Make sure your cloth is damp and not wet, else your wrappers will turn soggy. Rinse the cloth thoroughly after each wrapper has been wiped. Squeeze dry and go on to the next.

And I followed the first method, coz I didn't think I have to patience to wipe and wash, wipe and wash. Heh.

Ngoh Hiang (recipe from here)

Ingredients : 

- 300g minced pork (or any minced meat you prefer)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 6 water chestnuts, chopped roughly
- 6 medium sized fresh prawns, shelled, de-veined and chopped into small chunks
- 2 stalks leeks (the white part only), sliced thinly OR substitute with 2 stalks spring onions, chopped (I used both)
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs fish sauce (I omitted this)
- dash of sesame oil
- dash of pepper
- 1 small egg, beaten lightly
- Ngoh Hiang skin (sold in large, folded sheets at dry goods shops ... you have to cut them to size before rolling)

Directions :

1) To the minced meat, add garlic, leeks, prawns and water chestnuts together. Add in 1 tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs fish sauce and a dash of sesame oil.

2) Add in one egg and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle some spring onions for colour.

Note : To see how to assemble the ngoh hiang, follow the recipe link.

1 comments:

spyder January 12, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

No wonder so saltish.. lolx.. Lazy.. =P

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP