Monday, November 03, 2008

Tomato Spinach and Basil Soup

Had been "eyeing" this recipe for quite some time, and I finally managed to give it a try tonight. Looking back at my blog entries, it had been quite a while since I last cook. Since it's already the school holidays, I hope I'll have more time to try out the other few recipes that I've bookmarked.

Anyway, back to the soup. I almost didn't want to continue with it coz I was tearing like crazy while cutting up the big onion. I was only cutting up one half before my eyes started to sting, and I hadn't begun chopping it yet! But having bought all the ingredients and missing lunch, I just had to endure. It was almost as bad as being in a temple full of the smoke from the joss sticks and it all gets into your eyes. So, the onion ended up in cubes instead of being chopped as stated. (that's why you can see chunks of it from the picture)

One thing to note, as you would likely read from the reviews of the others from the original recipe, is that the onions need to be cooked much longer than 3 minutes to soften it. Also, if you prefer smooth and creamy soup to which you can swallow instead of having to chew, you can take an extra step to blend it in a food processor before serving.

Tomato Spinach and Basil Soup
4 servings

Ingredients :

- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree (do your conversion here)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 cups fresh spinach, torn
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

Directions :

1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Stir in milk and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato puree and sugar. Mix well, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add spinach, basil, salt and pepper and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.

1 comments:

park residenze December 8, 2008 at 8:18 PM  

so how was your soup? sure looks good from the pic!

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP