Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sweetened condensed milk cake

Yeah! Finally I can safely say that my tiny 8" x 10" (rough estimate) conventional oven toaster can be used for baking. Well, it's not that I don't know that my oven toaster can bake (I did bake cookies with it before), it's just that I was quite skeptical about it when it comes to cakes. I was quite prepared for the first attempt to end up in a totally unedible disaster.


So, imagine my excitement when I peered through the oven door and saw that the cake was rising quite beautifully, if you disregard the slightly lopsided-ness of it. And it took a surprisingly short time to cook, about 30 minutes. I always thought that a cake will take up most of the day preparing and baking. It was the cooling down part that took a long time. I lost count of the times I went to check if it was ready to be turned out of the pan during the 3 plus hours that the cake took to cool down completely.


Despite the use of condensed milk, the cake was not too sweet. And quite edible too, I must say. :) The husband said it was not too bad for a first attempt, while BT said it was ok, but he would not encourage me to bring for my in-laws to taste, when I mentioned about it. Hmmm.

Anyway, it was not too bad for the taste. In fact, it tasted a bit like the Sara Lee cakes, just a teeny bit. But the texture was not as light and spongy as I expected, it somehow reminded me of the Chinese Huat Kuay (发糕) as I bit into it. I was not sure what went wrong, and the husband mentioned that I might not have "mix" enough air into the batter. So, he was quite enthusiastic to help me bake another one later. :)

Sweetened condensed milk cake (recipe from here)

Ingredients :
- 1 can (395g) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 eggs
- 120g all purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- 50g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- icing sugar, for dusting

Directions :
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF; generously butter a 22cm (9 in) ring cake pan.

2. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until risen and a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.

3. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely before unmolding.Dust with icing sugar before serving.

Note : I used a 20cm (8 in) pan, and my cake took about 30 minutes to bake.

5 comments:

Old Beng November 24, 2008 at 11:17 AM  

Eh... did I ever mentioned that both my cha-bo-lang and I are very good in tasting cakes, cookies, rice, noodles, etc.

You should let us have a taste and give you our most sincere views :p

kOi November 24, 2008 at 9:54 PM  

Wow...good try! wan to have a 2nd try on YQ's bd? :)

levynn November 26, 2008 at 10:39 AM  

uncle beng...
eh, my standard cannot let u all try la. i "practice" some more 1st then see how... heh...

koi...
i wanted to make one. but YQ already got birthday cake. but i'll try to get one done if possible. :)

Old Beng November 27, 2008 at 2:21 PM  

Like that ah? Ok lor, we shall wait.

park residenze December 8, 2008 at 8:17 PM  

sara lee cakes? heheh....anyway, JIA YOU! i'll be ur tester...:)

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP