Sunday, December 06, 2009

Char Kway Teow



Yes, yes, I know my char kway teow is much 'paler' than the original ones that we are used to (unless we are talking about the Penang one). I only eyeballed the dark soy sauce amount, but I think there would not be much difference to the overall taste, except maybe a more distinct sweetness of the sauce if I had put in more.

In fact, this is one dish that I didn't really follow the measurements from the recipe. I only used it as a guide to get the ingredients and the steps to frying it. And I'm glad to say that it turned out quite well. However, I didn't really read the blog post well enough to see the suggestion : The trick to this dish is to use high heat and cooked one serving at a time for maximum 'wok hey' (wok's breath). I'll be sure to keep this in mind coz I know there will be a next time. :)

Char Kway Teow (Recipe from here )

Ingredients :

- 250 gm Kueh Teow (flat rice noodles)
- 150 gm prawns - shelled
- 100 grm of meat or cockles (I used char siew)
- a handful of beansprouts
- 5 stalks chives or spring onions - cut into 2cm lengths
- 2 eggs
- 3 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 2 tsp of chili paste - optional
- 3 tbsp of light sauce sauce
- 2 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste

Directions :

1. Heat up wok to high heat, add oil and garlic and fry till fragrant.

2. Add prawns, meat and ground chili and stir-fry for about 20 secs.


3. Add noodles, stir fry for a few second, add in soy sauce and dark soy sauce. Continue to fry until everything is well combined. Add in beansprouts.


4. Push mixture to edge of wok, add a little oil in centre. Add and fry the eggs and then mix everything together. Check seasoning.


5. Lastly add in chives or spring onions and give the noodles a few toss.


6. Dish out and serve hot.

5 comments:

Old Beng December 15, 2009 at 3:45 PM  

Looks really yummy, me drooling ~~

levynn December 16, 2009 at 10:19 PM  

uncle beng... thanks for the compliment... heh...

Old Beng December 17, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

Eh... I was hoping my compliment will result in your offer to cook and let me taste, ai,,, no hope.

levynn December 18, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

uncle beng... u want to try? no problem. I'll perfect it a few more times with the guinea pig (aka Spyder)... heh

Old Beng December 23, 2009 at 6:19 PM  

Really hor, don't just say say then forget.

Shiok, got free makan liao, must faster go tell my cha-bo-lang

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP