Sunday, November 22, 2009

三杯鸡 (Three Cups Chicken)


Sometimes, the cooking mood will strike and I would find myself looking through my online bookmarks to see what I can whip up next for the guinea pig husband. Or a recipe that I had read before will suddenly pop up in my mind and I told myself that I had to try it.

And this was what happened with this Three Cups Chicken recipe. I came across it on a blog a long time ago and thought it might be interesting to try but I didn't keep the link. Until recently, I was reading my latest favourite blog, The Little Teochew, and it so happened that she had cooked the dish. And it didn't seemed as complicated as I remembered. The only thing I would change is to use a fork to poke some holes through the chicken skins before marinating so the sauce would be thoroughly soaked through.

Update : I did this a second time, and poked a few tiny holes through the chicken wings before marinating them. And the final product did taste much much better, with the seasonings getting right into the meat.

Three Cups Chicken (recipe from : here)
Ingredients : (according to what I bought and used)

- 2 packs of chicken (mid-wing parts only)
- 1/3 cup Hua Tiao chinese rice wine
- little less than 1/3 cup sesame oil
- little less than 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1 bulb garlic, separated into individual cloves, skins on
- 2 tbsp fine sugar
- 3 large bunches of spring onions, cut into 1 inch lengths

Directions :
1. Marinate chicken with soy, sesame oil and rice wine. At least for 6 hours, although overnight is best.

2. Take the chill off the meat. Heat up some sesame oil in a wok or claypot until it is sizzling hot.

3. Throw in garlic, ginger and spring onions. Fry briefly till fragrant. Add in chicken and sear.

4. Keep stir-frying. Pour in the marinade liquid and the sugar. Continue to cook on medium.

5. Once you have a rolling boil, cover the wok/claypot and let it simmer over a small flame, until all the liquid has disappeared and the chicken is on the cusp of burning.

6. There should hardly be any gravy left. The chicken should be caramelised (charred at parts, even) and sizzling when served.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP