Thursday, October 01, 2009

Happy children's day... to me...

People often said childhood is the one of the best time in a lifetime, and I have to agree. Ok, maybe minus the studying, homework and exams, other than that, there is nothing much to worry about as kids. And I have to admit that my sisters and I were very lucky and blessed to have a fun and memorable childhood...

- When we were very young, my sister who was 3 years younger than I am, was still learning to walk, I would, once in a while, felt impulsive and just snatched her hand over and bit her fingers. Then, I would warn her not to tell anybody.

- As both my parents were working, I spent most of my times with my grandparents. My grandfather would play masak-masak with me all the time, and brought me to drink Milo at a coffeeshop, where he would poured it onto the plastic saucer to cool, while we waited for my grandma to do marketing.

- When I was in Primary 1, my form teacher made us line up according to our register numbers and I was paired up with this very fat and disgustingly dirty boy with sweaty palms. To further scar my young innocent life, the teacher made it compulsory that we had to hold hands whenever we lined up to go out as a class.

- My sister and I would try to finish up our Chinese writing homework as fast as possible because our father, being a Chinese teacher, is very strict when it comes to our Chinese character writing. More often than not, he would find our writings not to his liking, took up an eraser and clear the whole page that we had spent the past 30 minutes writing, and made us re-write all over again.

- One day, I forgot to bring my English writing book and the teacher made me call home to get my Grandma to bring it to school. I tried my very best to describe the cover of the book to her, and in then end, she arrived in school with my Math workbook.

- My mother used to cut our hair, up till our secondary school days. There was once (when I was about 7 or 8) when my mother accidentally cut my ear. I didn't feel anything until drops of blood dripped onto a magazine I was reading.



- I was one of the last few to finish a Math test. My classmates were all handing up the papers and leaving the classroom. In the end, I managed to finish the story sums while trying to prevent my tears and snot from dripping onto the test paper.

- My father used to pick me up from school after lessons everyday and most of the times, I was the last to leave (right before the school attendant) because he was always late. So, one day, I felt rebellious (I was having a cough then) enough to buy an ice-cream and was confident that I would finish it before he arrived. He was unexpectedly early on that day.

- We used to stay in Bedok North, right opposite a stadium. One day, I followed my older cousins to the stadium and while they were playing on the tracks, I found myself wondering if my tiny head could fit through the gaps between the railings. And the next thing I knew, I was crying while my father and cousins tried to pull out my head which was stuck between the railings.



So, here's to a happy 1st October to all of us... especially to the child that is living in our hearts.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP