Friday, May 23, 2008

Miss Clarity Cafe


Went to Miss Clarity Cafe at Purvis Street for dinner with the husband on Wednesday. I had been wanting to try the food there ever since I came across a few personal blogs raving about the food.

It was about 7:30 p.m. when we got there, and if you are driving, please check out the exact location before proceeding. It's actually opposite the side of the National Library which faces a Maybank bank. The cafe is just a few steps down behind Maybank. Also, be prepared to wait for parking lots coz it's situated along a row of shophouses, where there are only limited parallel parking lots.

The size of the cafe was not as big as I had imagined. And the husband was surprised at the number of people there. It was completely packed and we had to wait for about 10 to 15 minutes to get a seat.

If you are looking for a quiet and romantic place for dinner, this is definitely not the place for you. Besides being packed with people, the noise level was also high, and once in a while, there would be a burst of ha-ha-ha from out of nowhere, and you practically had to talk to your date in a raised voice to be heard.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. In fact, I quite like it there. Just look at the tagline of the cafe : "where happy people meet..." It definitely felt like that! The only glitch was that the staff could be friendlier and looked happier a bit? Or maybe it's the crowd and the rush that had left them feeling stressed. Happy diners, definitely, but not happy waiters... not that they were rude or anything. Just didn't looked happy to me.

Anyway, onto the food. I managed to capture some photos of what we had ordered, but no thanks to the computer or the USB cable or my handphone... something had gone kooky somewhere and I couldn't access the photos I had taken with my handphone. (maybe it's time to get a new phone)

Anyhows, the husband ate this :





The husband quite liked the dish, though I felt that the pork was a little too tough. The country beans were a mixture of green peas and beans, and according to him, the so-called "tomato marmalade" tasted like pasta sauce.

And I had this :




The crust was thick on the dory fish, but the slice of fish was also quite thick. Despite being so, it was cooked very nicely and was tender. I couldn't figure out what was in the slightly crispy and spicy crust, except for the centre portion which seemed to have a bit of melted cheese hidden. There was also no taste of the garlic as mentioned in the name of the dish.

One thing I liked about this dish besides the crust was that it arrived piping hot. And even after I took my last bite, it was still warm. But the accompanying sides were a bit disappointing. Just some boiled cabbage strips and baked potato pieces, which were a little too tough and cold.

We added the additional $3.80 for a soup/salad, drink and dessert to make it a set meal. The soup was good, and we guessed it was onion soup. And the dessert was a scoop of really sweet and strongly-flavoured strawberry ice-cream. I can't remember when was the last time I had pure strawberry ice-cream.

The total bill came up to the total of $30.20, without any GST and service charge. I guess that maybe was another reason why the place was full on a weekday evening. And I'll definitely be going back again.

1 comments:

Anonymous May 24, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

for those trying the porky onions.. be warned.. dont take too much of the beans.. 2 days of toxic gases and i am still trying to troubleshoot if it was caused by the beans.. LOL.. i will try again to re-confirm this myth..

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP