Sunday, April 20, 2008

The one that didn't work out


It's been some time since I was so "hardworking" over the weekend. But it was really quite fun to cook or try my hand at something new once in a while. Whether the final product is edible or not is another matter altogether. Haha.


Well, for this lemon pie or cheesecake or whatever you like to call it, I didn't really follow that closely to the original recipe I got from the website. Instead, I tweaked a little here and there, and followed some advice from one of the reviewers of this recipe, and took some instructions from another previous cheesecake recipe.

But the bad news was, something went wrong somewhere. The cheese didn't set as nicely as my previous cheesecake. It was then that I realised maybe it was the lack of gelatin, which I'm also not sure. But I'll definitely be trying that again, with gelatin. So I wonder how it actually turned out for those who follow the original recipe.

Anyhow, it's still edible, though a bit too soft to be a cheesecake. The husband said it was actually quite nice, and I'm really surprised how just the zest of the lemons could make the whole cake taste so lemony. Now I understand why one of the reviews for the recipe states clearly to use the zest instead of the lemon juice, which I guess, might make the cheese too sour.


And, yes... my dear boys at work are going to be horrified excited that I have something new for them to try again. :) I'm so glad that they are always so supportive of my cooking. :)

As for the recipe, I'll post it again after I give it a second try, with gelatin this time over this weekend. Hopefully it'll turn out right. *fingers crossed*

8 comments:

Anonymous April 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM  

woahhhh cheeeseeecake~~ ok yixin!~ our next meeting, i'm glad to announce that you can cook for us for our next meetup!hahaha..

Anonymous April 22, 2008 at 4:23 AM  

my first and last attempt at cheesecake-making was similar to this. the only decent bit was the choco-cookie-crunch base but i thought all was not lost since i had a laugh watching the wobbly creamy stuff dance. My husband wasn't as kind as yours, so we had to feed the cheesecake to the bin. =)

Anonymous April 22, 2008 at 10:12 AM  

nur...
haha, sure u wan to eat or not? ray scared liao... haha

auntie koh...
try again la! i'm trying again this weekend for ah qing. if can "toughen" up, then u can try also... heh...

Anonymous April 22, 2008 at 6:39 PM  

I have not been baking for quite sometime. * LaZy * Keep Trying ! Jia You!

Anonymous April 22, 2008 at 9:54 PM  

WOI?!!! WHAT GELATIN?!!!

Anonymous April 23, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

sameer...
dun worry la, babe... the one u eat NO gelatin one. even if got, mine is also halal gelatin... got the sign on the bottle. can bring for u to see... heh...

Anonymous April 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM  

wow! yr boys at work are sure lucky, having the chance to try out your cooking : )

regards
brad

Anonymous April 28, 2008 at 10:35 AM  

hi brad..
thanks for dropping by.

the boys r always scared of my cooking... haha... gotta "force" them to eat...

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP