Sunday, September 23, 2007

Dinner for the in-laws

I realised it was actually quite fun to cook for others. Not that I didn't cook for others before. But previously, it was usually just grandma and me, and we always had simple dishes, one veg and one fish/meat. So there was not much "variations" back then, though I'm really thankful for that time of the opportunity to work on my basic cooking skills.

However, for this past one year or so, it became quite challenging and fun to cook. Never mind it was just the husband and me. It was challenging becoz the husband prides himself being some kind of food critic, and it was actually not easy for him to like the taste of some food. Fun becoz of all the different cooking style and ingredients all the different recipes brought me. Also, I'm sure that there is at least one person who had to eat whatever I whipped up. Heh.

Since we were supposed to be meeting the in-laws for dinner tonight, I suggested to cook a soup from a packet of readily available soup base. But the husband thought it would be good if I could whipped up something for his family. So, we bought some chicken parts for the soup, veg (heng cai) and salmon (yes, again... becoz it only needs baking).

Everything turned out quite all right in my own opinion, except the quantity of the salmon and veg were a little too much. I actually didn't feel any stress until I was sitting at the dining table, and watched while my in-laws put the food into their mouths. Nothing much was commented about the food but my mother-in-law did advised to get rid of the chicken skin and the layer of fats under it before cooking any chicken soup next time to prevent the excess oil. As for the other opinions, got to wait to hear from the husband. Oh, I actually forgot to take photos of the dishes. Hmmm.

Maybe my own family will be next. The previous few times I cooked for them, they all complained that my dishes were not salty enough. I think it's time for me to try again. Got to see what else to cook... definitely not salmon anymore.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP